Friday 6 November 2015

"Narcos"


       Last week I started to watch a new TV serie produced by Netflix, „Narcos”. It tells a story of Pablo Escobar, the head of Medellin cartel in Colombia. The story is told from the perspective of a DEA agent, Murphy, who moved to Colombia to fight narcos, the drug dealers. I was a little surprised by this decision, because when I read that there is a TV serie being released about Pablo Escobar, I immediately assumed that he will be the narrator. However, after watching some episodes, I have to say that if Pablo was the one who tells the story it could be difficult to show all the terror and death, as in general, he considered himself as a good guy. I really like the fact that in the first episode Pablo's story is presented as an american dream, he is a man who incarnates a „from zero to hero” type. You even begin to like him! But then, his good image breaks down, as you can see that he passes death sentences more often than he pronounces the name of his wife. In short, „Narcos” presents a history of a war between the Colombian state and the drug dealers, between politicians and Pablo Escobar, and between Pablo Escobar and other cartels. I recommend this serie to everyone who is interested in Colombia Drug War, or generally, in the problems of Latin America. 


No comments:

Post a Comment